Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gluten Free / Casein Free in Andalucia

Having trouble finding Gluten Free and/or Casein Free products. There are three major stores in Andalucia offering these products, Hipercor, Mercadona and Carrefour. If you happen to live near Gibraltar, Morrisons also has a very attractive well labelled range called "free from". On a personal choice Morrison's brown bread is really delicious. Also there are many small health stores around Andalucia offering a good range of products, it really is worth popping in for a browse, quite often I am surprised, also I like to support the small business owner. We still need to hope that one day the prices will be more attractive, GF/CF is painful for the wallet.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Can you tell me where to buy gluten free products in/around estepona? or enroute from the Malaga airport to Estepona? My mom will be joining us for vacation in Spain and since she can't eat gluten I want to find things for her to eat to make her trip as easy as possible. Thanks!

Paulene Angela said...

Hi Mary,
Mercadona has a good selection of Gluten Free products, they are clearly labelled "Sin Gluten". I have been buying my spaghetti and Pasta from Cayetano supermarket (Centro Comercial Diana) and have found a wonderful bagette (frozen) from a general breadshop in San Pedro Alcantara. It's frozen so I just put 30 seconds in the microwave on defrost and then 30 seconds on cooking. After I toast it slightly, my son loves bread and even he has approved of this one as gluten free bread can sometimes be really bad. Mercadona sell a loaf of gluten free which is pasable !! Also carrefour (Estepona) has a selection of gluten free but it is pricey.
Hope this has been of some help